| Students of University of Bonn|
|What can we expect from you?|
- I will contribute to the standard theoretical computer science lectures.
- I will offer specialized lectures on topics of parameterized complexity and exact algorithms for NP-hard problems.
- I am offering master and bachelor thesis topics, research and teaching assistant jobs.
- I can also offer opinions on the question of whether or not to pursue a PhD and where to do so.
|Topics and supervision for master/bachelor theses|
- Sure. Send me an email with some research interests and I will suggest one or more topics.
|Jobs as student research assistant|
- Contact me. I have some things in mind that could do with some student assistance.
| Students of TU Berlin|
|Can I still take the oral exam for lectures that you gave at TU Berlin?|
- I am no longer at TU Berlin and formally cannot hold exams for TUB students. Prof. Niedermeier will hold all necessary exams.
| Researchers (PhD students, postdocs,...)|
|Visiting me and departments I and V at University of Bonn?|
- Gladly! We welcome visitors. Bonn is a nice place to visit and reachable via Cologne/Bonn airport!
- In particular, PhD students working on parameterized complexity are encouraged to get in contact regarding a research visit.
|You need a full version of one of my papers?|
| Scientific community|
|Reviews for conferences and journals||
- By all means. I review for all publishers and venues so long as the work in question is within my expertise and interest.
- There is a stack limit regarding the number of parallel requests that I'm willing to accept.
|Grant proposal reviews and related things|
- Again, by all means. I am sure to make time for these important matters.
| Applicants for positions|
|Do you have a vacant PhD or postdoc position?|
- I am in principle interested in hiring a German-speaking PhD student as of now. Feel welcome to get in contact, even if you are still working on your master thesis.
- All vacancies are announced on the DMANET mailing list; it is generally a good idea to follow that list if you are interested in discrete mathematics and theoretical computer science.
|Will there be a position in x months?|
- If you are strongly interested in working with me then contact me and we can check if something can be done. Generally it is a better idea to apply for jobs that are already fully funded because third party funding always takes time to be decided and is never guaranteed.
- I may also be willing to serve as host if you want to apply for PhD/postdoc funding yourself, e.g., through some stipend. These should usually process faster.
- General advice: Start thinking about your PhD or industry job when you start on your master thesis!
|Internships for students|
- I am not offering any internships for students.
- If you think that you are an exception then my advice would be to write a *very* compelling email with solid evidence of your interest in my work and the field of parameterized complexity as a whole. (I will probably not look at attachments that I did not specifically request.)